Seismic surveys use acoustic waves & vibrations to create images of what lies beneath the earth's surface. Seismic survey data is used in oil & gas development to determine where deposits are located without having to drill.
Seismic data is used by many different functional companies in the oil & gas industry — service providers, seismic data processors, resource holders, government entities — while being subject to ownership, or entitlement. Data generation and transfer of licensing are complex processes that are current characterized by:
- Largely document-based processes
- Lack of transparency, visibility, and traceability of data
- Sub-optimal auditing processes
- Slow & costly to operate and lengthy to comply
- Great variability of usage & needs among participants